Timothy C. Cater, M.S. Senior Scientist
- Oil Spill Response & Assessment
- Tundra Ecology
- Land Rehabilitation & Restoration
- Wetland Delineation
Tim Cater has a background in plant ecology and has conducted extensive research on ecological restoration and land rehabilitation in tundra and taiga ecosystems, especially those resulting from anthropogenic disturbances. In particular, Tim is interested in developing new techniques to rehabilitate and restore sites affected by spills of crude oil and other contaminants.
In addition to his research, he has developed educational materials to help non-biologists (e.g., pipefitters and electricians) understand basic ecological concepts. The central focus of this work is to help people understand how they can integrate ecology into their daily tasks to lessen the risk of creating a disturbance, as well as to avoid costs associated with the rehabilitation of a disturbance.
- Cater, T. C., C. Hopson, and B. Streever. 2015. The use of the Iñupiaq technique of tundra sodding to rehabilitate wetlands in northern Alaska. Arctic 68: 435–444. <http://dx.doi.org/10.14430/arctic4518>
- Cater, T. C. 2010. Tundra treatment guidelines: a manual for treating oil and hazardous substance spills to tundra, 3rd edition. Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation, Juneau, Alaska.
- Cater, T. C., M. T. Jorgenson, S. C. Bishop. 2008. Slope stabilization in an oilfield in Arctic Alaska. Erosion Control 15:30–39.
- Cater, T. C., M. T. Jorgenson, S. C. Bishop. 2007. Erosion control and restoration of a sand dune on the Colville River Delta, Northern Alaska, U. S. A. Ecological Restoration. 25: 238–246.
- Cater, T. C., and F. S. Chapin, III. 2000. Differential effects of competition or microenvironment on boreal tree seedling establishment after fire. Ecology 81(4): 1086–1099.
- Jorgenson, M. T., and T. C. Cater. 1996. Minimizing ecological damage during cleanup of terrestrial and wetland oil spills. Pages 257–293 in Storage Tanks. Advances in Environmental Control Technology Series. P.N. Cheremisinoff, ed. Gulf Publishing Company, Houston, TX. 303 pp.
- Jorgenson, M. T., T. Cater, J. Roth, E. Pullman, C. Racine, J. Harden. 2007. Carbon accumulation in bogs and fens after permafrost degradation in central Alaska. American Geophysical Union, fall meeting.
- Jorgenson, M. T., T. C. Cater, and M. R. Joyce. 1993. Use of snow capture for land rehabilitation in Arctic oilfields. Pages 316–321 in Proc. of Sixth Intl. Conf. on Permafrost, 5–9 July 1993, Beijing, China. Wushan Guangzhou, China: South China Univ. of Technology Press.
Environmental Stewardship | Social Responsibility | Economic Viability