Matthew J. Macander, M.S. Senior Scientist
- Remote Sensing
- Landscape Change Detection
- Spatial Modeling
- Vegetation Studies
- Snow Studies
- Time Series and Phenology Studies
- Ecological Land Mapping
Matt is a geographer specializing in wildlife, vegetation and habitat studies, and landscape ecology. He leads ABR's remote sensing group and has over 18 years of mapping experience in Alaska. His expertise includes vegetation and habitat mapping, spectral analysis, image classification, and spatial modeling. He works with a diverse array of aerial and satellite imagery and employs time-series analysis to characterize vegetation phenology and landscape change. Matt is experienced with quantitative vegetation sampling, field spectroscopy, GPS surveying, and electronic data capture. He also conducts snow studies including field surveys, snow distribution modeling, and mapping of snow cover and snow depth.
- Whitley, M. A., G. V. Frost, M. T. Jorgenson, M. J. Macander, C. V. Maio, and S. G. Winder. 2018. Assessment of LiDAR and spectral techniques for high-resolution mapping of sporadic permafrost on the Yukon-Kuskokwim Delta, Alaska. Remote Sensing 10:258
- Wells A. F., G. V. Frost, T. Christopherson, M. J. Macander, and E. R. Trainor. 2016. Ecological land survey and soil landscapes map for Aniakchak National Monument and Preserve, Alaska, 2014. National Park Service. Fort Collins, CO.
- Macander, M. J., C. S. Swingley, K. Joly, and M. K. Raynolds. 2015. Landsat-based snow persistence map for northwest Alaska. Remote Sensing of Environment 163: 23–31. <http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.rse.2015.02.028>
- Nelson, P. R., C. Roland, M. J. Macander, and B. McCune. 2013. Detecting continuous lichen abundance for mapping winter Caribou forage at landscape spatial scales. Remote Sensing of Environment 137: 43–54. <http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.rse.2013.05.026>
- Wells, A., M. Macander, T. Jorgenson, T. Christopherson, B. Baird, and E. Trainor. 2013. Ecological land survey and soil landscapes map for Lake Clark National Park and Preserve, Alaska, 2011. National Park Service. Fort Collins, CO. Natural Resource Technical Report. NPS/LACL/NRTR—2013/693. 349 pp.
Environmental Stewardship | Social Responsibility | Economic Viability