Adrian Gall, Ph.D. Director of Research
- Seabird ecology
- Population analysis
Adrian came to ABR with a background in population biology of nesting seabirds and the use of seabirds as indicators of marine conditions in Alaska, Hawaii, the Lower 48, and in Mexico.
Since joining ABR in 2005, she has focused on movements and habitat use of seabirds, waterfowl, shorebirds, and marine mammals in terrestrial and marine environments. Her fieldwork regularly involves residency and outreach in rural Alaska villages and, as a result, she has good working relationships with Native Alaskan communities. In addition to her research duties, Adrian is a Research Coordinator with 17 years of project management experience.
In July 2015, Adrian successfully defended her dissertation at the University of Alaska Fairbanks, where she studied the influence of oceanography on the seabird community in the Chukchi Sea from 2008 through 2012. Her research was a part of the Chukchi Sea Environmental Studies Program, jointly funded by ConocoPhillips, Statoil, and Shell.
- Gall, A. E., T. C. Morgan, R. H. Day, and K. J. Kuletz. 2017. Ecological shift from piscivorous to planktivorous seabirds in the Chukchi Sea, 1975–2012. Polar Biology 40: 61–78. <doi:10.1007/s00300-016-1924-z>
- Kuletz, K. J., M. C. Ferguson, B. Hurley, A. E. Gall, E. A. Labunski, and T. C. Morgan. 2015. Seasonal spatial patterns in seabird and marine mammal distribution in the eastern Chukchi and western Beaufort seas: identifying biologically important pelagic areas. Progress in Oceanography 136: 175–200.
- Day, R. H., A. E. Gall, T. C. Morgan, J. R. Rose, J. H. Plissner, P. M. Sanzenbacher, J. D. Fenneman, K. J. Kuletz, and B. H. Watts. 2013. Seabirds new to the Chukchi and Beaufort seas, Alaska: response to a changing climate? Western Birds 44: 174–182.
- Day, R. H., T. J. Weingartner, R. R. Hopcroft, L. A. M. Aerts, A. L. Blanchard, A. E. Gall, B. J. Gallaway, D. E. Hannay, B. A. Holladay, J. T. Mathis, B. L. Norcross, J. M. Questel, and S. S. Wisdom. 2013. The offshore northeastern Chukchi Sea: a complex high-latitude system. Continental Shelf Research 67: 147–165. <http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.csr.2013.02.002>
- Gall, A. E., R. H. Day, and T. J. Weingartner. 2013. Structure and variability of the marine-bird community in the northeastern Chukchi Sea. Continental Shelf Research 67: 96–115. <http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.csr.2012.11.004>
- Day, R. H., A. E. Gall, A. K. Prichard, et. al. 2011. The status and distribution of Kittlitz's Murrelet (Brachyramphus brevirostris) in northern Alaska. Marine Ornithology 39: 47–57.
- Gall, A. E., D. D. Roby, D. B. Irons, and I. Rose. 2006. Differential response in chick survival to diet in least and crested auklets. Marine Ecology Progress Series 308: 279–291.
- Guy, L. M. S., D. D. Roby, A. E. Gall, D. B. Irons, and I. C. Rose. 2009. The influence of diet and ocean conditions on productivity of auklets on St. Lawrence Island, Alaska. Marine Ornithology 37: 227–236.
- Sheffield, L. M., A. E. Gall, D. D. Roby, D. B. Irons, and K. M. Dugger. 2006. Monitoring planktivorous seabird populations: validating surface counts of crevice-nesting auklets using mark-resight techniques. Canadian Journal of Zoology 84: 846–854.